sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:49:05 +0100

Eric Sandall a écrit :
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
<big snip>

On my side, here are the areas I plan to work on:

- bi-arch port (x86_64 and maybe sparc64 if something can give me an
access to a sparc64 machine). Since sorcery needs some modification, I
could continue the work started on the proj2 branch for instance. As far
as the grimoire is concerned, glibc at least requires some modification,
where those could be done? I'd like to know who is interested in such
architectures as well and which one! If someone wants x86_64, tell us
right now!!!

//sgl/sorcery/proj/proj2 is ripe for this work if you want and already
has some of your fixes (though they're probably outdated).

OK. I'll use it then. Thanks.

We're trying to decide which scripts to use, more on this below.
I'd like the decision to be sometime this week, if possible.

OK. We will put it on the wiki when you're done.

If both David and Karsten are working on modularizing, perhaps they
should work on the same scripts? But then we need to decide which
scripts we're going to use (at the end of the e-mail). ;)

Like Karsten almost said, I think that the ISO generation scripts and the installer are quite separate. Since someone will be working on the installer script with some fresh ideas, I was wondering if we could convert the installer script to a spell like any another spell that will be added to the list of spell installed on the ISO. The first advantage being that the development will then follow the grimoire framework, which provides all the necessary tools to install it. David? Karsten? Others?

[I replaced some proj dir in the following text]

How about we do this: branch the current (with any fixes yet to be
applied) scripts into //sgl/cauldron/stable, continue to apply fixes
to that and use it to produce more test ISOs, applying the fixes to
devel and branching into stable after producing test ISOs and getting
feedback. We then use //sgl/cauldron/proj/proj2 to continue work on
Karsten's scripts and see if we can get those building working ISOs as
well as integrating //sgl/cauldron/proj/proj4 (David's modularization
of smgl.install) into //sgl/cauldron/devel once his scripts work.

This will lead to the following (IMO):
1) We have a stable branch that we know at least mostly works
2) We have a devel branch where we can apply fixes for the stable
branch, test, and then integrate into stable after feedback
3) We have a sub-project working on the Next Generation ISO that,
once it can make working ISOs, can be moved into //sgl/cauldron/stable
4) The modularization of the current stable code
(//sgl/cauldron/proj/proj4 via David) can be worked on and, once
tested and working, integrated back into the devel code, then tested
some more (Yet Another Test Release ;)) and eventually moved to stable

Sounds good. I'll rewrite it to be sure I understand and to be correct.

1) We have a stable branch. This should match the "current" stable ISO available for download.
2) We have a devel branch. At some point, it matches the "current" test ISO. When feedback comes, we apply fixes to this branch. We can also integrate code from our "proj" branch.
3) Everyone is working on his/her "proj" branch (branched from devel initially). It will be integrated to devel (not stable).
4) We need a way to get the code for any previous stable or test ISO when we need to (to compare what has changed between releases for instance)(should we use p4 labels ?).

I would prefer that we focus on the current scripts to get them into
stable, a 0.9.4 released with as many pre-1.0 bugs fixed as possible,
and then we can start maintaining stable/devel, continue work on the
Next Generation ISOs, and work on modularizing stable/devel.

Good. We'll need to make a bug review later.

Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru