sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] x86/ppc/x86_64 test ISO available

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] x86/ppc/x86_64 test ISO available
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:14:41 +0100

Eric Sandall a écrit :
Thanks for the list of bugs fixed, I like that. :)

Cool :-)

- in order to reduce the ISO size to fit on a mini CD-R (200 MB) and
after studying the compressed fs available, i choose squashfs for those
ISO. So, all ISOs are under the 200MB limit

Does squashfs have any drawbacks? Slower? Doesn't work on older
machines? RAM requirements?

Humm, none i'm aware of. There is a document about performance comparison included in the source package.

- SATA drives support has been added to the ISO kernels. Since I
don't have such hardware, I'm looking for reports!

- x86_64 specific : the ISO and the installed system are bi-arch.
This mean that you can run both 32 bits and 64 bits binaries.

Can the code for this be put into //sgl/sorcery/proj/proj2 (if it's
not already)?

Sure. I was going to ask for that. We'll discuss later on how we can organize that.

Known bugs (no need to report them!):

- bug 7817 : optional spell list doesn't denote what's already opted
- bug 7853 : optional spell list should be pre-generated
- bug 7905 : IDE PNP support do not work
- bug 7925 : there is no 2.4 kernel
- bug 7939 : bash is still used on the initrd
- bug 7945 : there is no background work
- bug 7979 : installation destination size is not checked
- bug 7999 : ide-generic/ide-cd modules not found

Any ETA on when these will be fixed?

I did not want to make a long and boring email :-). Some are already fixed, but not in those ISO. Some will be fixed soon. But some still requires some help/test/decision (no ETA thus for those one).

Let's not forget the ISO generation discussion as well, though. ;)

I send an email already. Don't worry :-)

Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru