sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] smgl.installer work

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] smgl.installer work
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:58:23 -0600 (CST)

I'm a fool and have decided to work on the smgl.installer script.
I mean really work on it. I've completely torn it apart and I'm not done
with the knife. I've got big plans. I've attached a TODO file that lists
the stuff that I'd like to do.

It's basically a complete restructure. I like the self motivated
installer, but I might do away with the guidedness. Haven't decided yet.
By self motivated, I mean it increments the location depending on the
success/failure of a command. Example: if you cancel "Mount Filesystems"
it should not proceed to the next one. I'm toying with the idea of some
sort of dependencies check to determine if you've done enough to complete
step "X".

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else is doing stuff on this, but I'm
working on it in what little spare time I've got. It doesn't work yet, but
it'll get there. Don't know if it'll make it by the next ISO, but that's
because I don't know when the next ISO needs to be done.

I'll look into the auto generation scripts and see if I can get a working
installer soon into an ISO. I'll send a link to the ML to see if people
want to try it. I know that once Source Mage is installed you never have
to do it again, but break something critical that makes it need a
reinstall, please, for me ;)

So that's my plan. I should log my doings on the wiki, but they're not
quite organized enough, IMO, to expose other minds to it :) I've mostly
been expirementing with the self-motivating installer and the
"dependencies" thing. Anywho, now I'm just rambling.

Thoughts, suggestions are always welcome,

David Kowis
--
One login to rule them all, one login to find them. One login to bring
them all, and in the web bind them.

Things I want to do for the smgl.install script

1. organize the installer script into modules --mostly done
- DISK_STRUCTURE > manipulating partitions and
creating fstab
- LOCALE_CONFIG > configs for box customiziation, font,
locale, language
- SOFTWARE_CONFIG > how software will be built
- SYSTEM_CONFIG > how the system will be configured
- BOOTLOADER_CONFIG > bootloader configuration
- MISC > Miscellaneous functions that don't
fit anywhere
- INSTALLER > managing the installation process
- NETWORK_CONFIG > network setup

2. Make lists of things come from a config file
- filesystems
> filesystem name | required spell | mkfs command
- timezone list
- font list
- locale list
- optional spell list

3. Make the installer it's own managed process
- What's next shouldn't be in any of the functions
- source the files when they're needed

4. Generate the menus by a script and call them from a script to make menus
easier to manipulate