sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Automated ISO generation (was: [Cauldron] Meeting Planning)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Automated ISO generation (was: [Cauldron] Meeting Planning)
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:44:20 +0100

> If these ISO generations can be completely automated, I've got a pretty
> good upload (1Mbit) and I would be willing to do it. I run my own
> webserver so I could provide some small amount of hosting. Perhaps as a
> backup or something.

Sounds good.
I have written some scripts that pretty much automate ISO generation,
however, they require to be run as root. (mounting loopback, mknod)
I'll have to do some more testing and tweaking, but then they would be ready.

Requirements would be to have a directory into which we can chroot
with a /dev (can be static) and a /proc. If there is another SMGL on the box
having a mount --bind /var/spool/sorcery /sub/system/var/spool/sorcery
will be helpful.

The system itself needs 700MB (w/o /var/spool/sorcery) on this box,
+200-300MB for the ISO itself.

I hope maintenance can be minimal, I'd be happy to do maintenance with
ssh or have you do it, I can write a few minimal scripts
to regularly update everything needed.

For network, we'd need access to the perforce server and access to
the sources (per regular wget or by leapforward_url to one of your boxes)

Computing time depends on your box, it would be compiling sources
for updates and fiddling the ISO together. This last step takes 80 seconds
of time (33 seconds computing time) on my Athlon-XP 1600.

Thank you for your help,
So Far,
Karsten Behrmann