sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] i386 ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] i386 ISO
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:04:36 -0800

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:13:34AM -0800, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 06:53:53PM +0100, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> > Andrew "ruskie" Levstik a ?crit :
> > >Whats this obsession with a nptl iso...
> > >I think we should keep non-nptl...
> >
> > In fact, we need someone (Cauldron Team Lead?) to decide on what will be
> > on the next ISO. Unet told me yesterday that he was going to post a
> > message about it.
>
> I'm just hoping for a modern mini-cdr version, since I have a hundred of
> those CDs for the 1.0 release I'll throw around at OSDL and the various
> public libraries.

Can we /please/ work on the basic functionality of iso generation before
we go crazy on niche features? I know its "cool" to have mini-cd's and
to use squashfs and to have all sorts of stuff. However we need to be
at a point where someone just has to "turn the crank" and have all the
isos built and ready to go. Then it'll be a lot easier to tinker with
features. Last I checked we're pretty far from anything that anyone
can just use to make an iso. In fact we've got two completely independent
streams of development and never the two shall meet. Just imagine if
there were two implementations of sorcery...

> > >But anyways I think this argument is atm irrelevant as the iso should
> > >be improved first and there should be good sorcery support for
> > >reincarnation...
> >
> > Yes. I asked too much about it up to annoy the sorcery team. Since they
> > decided I'm not part of sorcery team (which is true), i cannot help and
> > just have to wait. I did a small shell script to implement ressurect,
> > but it's not part of sorcery.
>
> I believe Andrew is working on a resurrect that is good enough for your
> purposes but also integrated into sorcery. Resurrect support has always
> been pretty mediocre.

Yep, and its sitting on my laptop right now in a partially written
form, completely unusable form. Unfortunatly making it really robust
and stuff isnt as easy as just saying "tar -x" like before. Although
I have to point out that the installer has sufficient code to do enough
of it itself so its not been a super high blocking priority. The case I
have to solve is a lot more generic that what the installer does. IMO
the installer will work fine for a few more versions while resurrect,
tablet, and all the other new devel features come into stability.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |