sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [Cauldron] Meeting Planning

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [Cauldron] Meeting Planning
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:02:39 -0800

> 4. (not really belongs here, but well...)
> we use simpleinit on the ISO.
> (Why do we need an init system anyway? Do we need any services started
> to install SMGL? No. Why not use smgl.install for an init?)

I like having virtual terminals when I install, its also a useful
debugging feature. However I dont think the standard init scripts we
use are necessary, especially not nfs :) So throwing out init entirely
probably isnt the best solution, but trimming it down such that it doesnt
run anything it doesnt need is good.

> I have started thinking (and a little work) on the following, improved
> scripts,
> featuring:
>
> 1. config files to be parsed by the script
> (there's a simple text file with a one-file-per-line list of files to put
> on the initrd, and a one-package-per-line list of spells for the ISO)
>
> 2. (all) Paths should be relative to a variable...
>
> 3. While files for the initrd are (still) copied, spells should be unpacked
> from cache (with maybe logs and docs cut out).

Sounds good. I want to add a few ideas, I think one goal (perhaps the
first and foremost) should be that using the iso generation scripts (and
having identical config files), anyone can make exactly the same iso,
so that way everyone is on the same page and theres no question about
who is rolling the official iso because it'd be the same. It should
be a deterministic process for /everyone/.

Also I think some people have brought this up, not sure who exactly but
having periodically generated testing iso's available would be helpful.
That way for a period of time the rest of us developers and friends can
try it out to verify our bugfixes before publishing a major stable iso.
I for one volunteer to try them out each period (within reason :))
and give some feedback.

It might even be feasable to do those periodic iso generations on our
mirror or at least on a machine all the iso team members have access
to with reasonable bandwidth. It might make collaboration a little
easier.

It would seem contradictory to the "same iso anywhere" idea initially,
but also it seems to compliment it. One can try things out on their
local machine, if theyre good then commit to perforce, and the shared
machine will produce the same results for others to try (and others can
update from perforce and roll the same iso).

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |