sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Automated ISO generation (was: [Cauldron] Meeting Planning)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Automated ISO generation (was: [Cauldron] Meeting Planning)
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:19:16 -0600 (CST)

--
One login to rule them all, one login to find them. One login to bring
them all, and in the web bind them.

<quote who="Karsten Behrmann">
>> If these ISO generations can be completely automated, I've got a pretty
>> good upload (1Mbit) and I would be willing to do it. I run my own
>> webserver so I could provide some small amount of hosting. Perhaps as a
>> backup or something.
>
> Sounds good.
> I have written some scripts that pretty much automate ISO generation,
> however, they require to be run as root. (mounting loopback, mknod)
> I'll have to do some more testing and tweaking, but then they would be
> ready.
Question: The creation of this ISO doesn't affect the spells and such that
are on there already? I'm assuming that this is supposed to work without
affecting the box that's doing the generation. I seem to remember an
ability to change the INSTALL_ROOT or something that made it independant
of the stuff on the box. I just want to make sure that doing this isn't
going to muck up the stuff that's already installed on that box. It does a
few important things for me. I know that this is development and such and
I'm not too worried about it, but I just want to make sure that the
/intention/ of this is to make a seperate atomic ISO generation thing that
doesn't affect the box the generation is being done on. If not, or the
risk is great, I might have to withdraw my offer until I can put together
something that I'm not worried about crashing, that has a bit more
processing speed than 200Mhz.

> Requirements would be to have a directory into which we can chroot
> with a /dev (can be static) and a /proc. If there is another SMGL on the
> box
> having a mount --bind /var/spool/sorcery /sub/system/var/spool/sorcery
> will be helpful.
If I can get some instructions on how to do such things, I can have it
happen. I'll probably take an old 4gb drive and drop it in there for the
ISO generation so that Partitions can be created in whatever way is best.

> The system itself needs 700MB (w/o /var/spool/sorcery) on this box,
> +200-300MB for the ISO itself.
>
> I hope maintenance can be minimal, I'd be happy to do maintenance with
> ssh or have you do it, I can write a few minimal scripts
> to regularly update everything needed.

I've got ssh running on it, and I'd be happy to create you a user and such.

> For network, we'd need access to the perforce server and access to
> the sources (per regular wget or by leapforward_url to one of your boxes)
On the same box that would be doing this generation, I've kept most of the
sources to programs. It's my file server, so I almost never delete the
source cache and I use Leapforward_URL from my other boxes to this one so
that I don't waste the internet :) The box has Internet connectivity,
obviously, so access to perforce is no big deal, i'd have to cast the
p4client tho.

> Computing time depends on your box, it would be compiling sources
> for updates and fiddling the ISO together. This last step takes 80 seconds
> of time (33 seconds computing time) on my Athlon-XP 1600.

Computing time isn't really a big deal. If it gets to be an issue, we can
work a way to schedule jobs to be run in the middle of the night, or while
I'm at work or something.

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ stepping 02
768Mb ram I think.
Its running 2.4.28 though, because there's no RAID drivers in 2.6 for my
little onboard raid that I started using for my files. Is that going to be
a problem? I don't remember if it's doing NPTL or not. I don't think so,
IIRC that's specifically a 2.6 thing...?