sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] init.d defaults are evil and bad

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Kolb <jkolb AT brandeis.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] init.d defaults are evil and bad
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:28:29 -0500

Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
It can, there's an ESSENTIAL="yes" line that can be added to the init script. It's been in sorcery for a long time (hence everybody forgot about it).

But, that means it is essential on EVERY system and cannot be disabled except by prodding (an extra confirmation). Failures in essential init scripts will complain loudly during init process (and might even do more).

I wrote the initial logic for the default to no except essential scripts. The system asks all these questions when you start casting stuff. It's best to heed them.

And, I'm wondering how it turns the box into unusable? If it does THAT, then it is clear we need either an essential init script added or some more logic added to an already existing essential init script. Thus, bug, file, now, as Andrew says. ;)

Seth

It essentially disabled udev, nothing mounted, the / filestem was
read-only (even though mount said otherwise) and I couldn't mount
things. I couldn't install the scripts since the filesystem was ro. A
lot of things failed to start.