sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] MSB: simpleinit-msb will be discontinued

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] MSB: simpleinit-msb will be discontinued
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:47:02 -0800

Curious email I just got...

I'm all for moving to his new system if it pans out. Although I think
we could get better mileage out of a pure bash init. ;)

Seth

----- Forwarded message from "Matthias B." <---> -----

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:04:31 +0100
From: "Matthias B." <--->
To: "Simpleinit-MSB Users" <--->
Subject: simpleinit-msb will be discontinued

Hallo,

you're getting this mail because for one reason or another you contacted
me regarding simpleinit-msb in the past. And following the "guilty until
proven innocent" doctrine I therefore assume you're a simpleinit-msb user
:-)

Don't worry. You've not been put on a mailing list. And as you can
probably guess from the subject of this mail, this is the last piece of
simpleinit-msb spam you'll ever get from me.

I'm sending out this message to inform the users of simpleinit-msb that I
will stop maintaining it. There won't be any more bugfix releases, not
even for critical bugs, not even if someone submits a patch. When I find
the time to update my web page, simpleinit-msb will probably be removed
completely. If you continue to use simpleinit-msb, you do so at your own
risk. There's still much code in simpleinit-msb that I have never looked
at and as we've seen last January that code is always good for a nasty
surprise. Maybe there are more problems such as this, maybe there aren't.
I have no idea. And I'm no longer interested in finding out.

That was the bad news, now for the good news. I won't stop using Linux, so
I'm still going to need an init for my own system and I'm feeling as
appalled by the symlink forest of SysVinit setups as I felt 2 years ago.
So I've revived my old SourceForge project (which surprisingly was never
considered for purging, despite the fact that it has made no releases and
had not been touched for more than 2 years) and I'm writing my own init
from scratch. Or rather, I've already written it. There's no release, yet,
because I won't make one without a working set of example boot scripts
(i.e. new-boot-3.0), but I expect a release before Christmas.

If you're interested, you can find the project here:

http://lfsinit.sourceforge.net/

Please direct any questions to the lfsinit-devel mailing list (if they're
of interest to the general public). Since there's no mailing list for
simpleinit-msb and the only people who know about lfsinit so far are
simpleinit-msb users, discussions regarding the discontinuation of
simpleinit-msb are also okay on lfsinit-devel for the time being.

MSB

----- End forwarded message -----

Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEF10E21A
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org