sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] MSB: simpleinit-msb will be discontinued

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Bas van Gils <Bas.vanGils AT cs.ru.nl>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] MSB: simpleinit-msb will be discontinued
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:26:46 -0800

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 08:17:05AM +0100, Bas van Gils wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 03:47:02PM -0800, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> > I'm all for moving to his new system if it pans out. Although I think
> > we could get better mileage out of a pure bash init. ;)
>
> Hi,
>
> Just out of curiosity: Does anyone have a clue why the "maintainer" of
> simpleinit-msb would want to stop maintaining it and start (yet) another
> init-project? What's wrong with simpleinit-msb? I really like it (especially
> the fact that I can do just about everything with `telinit`). I'm not really
> in the mood for switching again, despite the good HOWTO on our Wiki last
> time..
>
> Cheers

He didn't write 95% of telinit... rycee wrote the first draft of its
internal functions (actually found in /etc/init.d/smgl_telinit, then I
added some more crap to it (i.e. the parts you like ;) )

simpleinit-msb is not even most of the code anymore in our init system.

To answer your question:

He didn't write simpleinit; Richard Gooch did, and Gooch abandoned it.
MSB took it up and forked it. Now MSB wants a clean project in the same
philosophy but coded to his own style.

simpleinit-msb right now is pretty stable at this point, and even though
it could have a design revision to increase its orthogonality in some
areas, it's working well for what we use it, and the scripts that
surround it, for. Personally, I could see some more ability to mangle
with the internal linked list being useful for handling starting and
stopping things in lower runlevels than the current runlevel without
messing up shutdown order.

Seth

Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEF10E21A
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org