sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] MSB: simpleinit-msb will be discontinued

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] MSB: simpleinit-msb will be discontinued
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:05:17 -0800

Well, lets look at it this way, most of our init system already is in
bash, theres quite a bit of extra scripting on top of simpleinit as it
is. Its likely that any init system we move to is going to have to work
with that same interface.

Also, theres the lfsinit project which i believe will have some
similarities to simpleinit, and will probably be a reasonably simple drop
in replacement if/when we move. They apparently have some "simpleinit
personality" thing connected to it, so why not just see what it has
to offer than trying to write our own init in pure bash (which i think is
silly btw).

Finally, how much has really changed in simpleinit in the past year? Not
much other than that silly bug around the start of the year. We dont
really have to change in the immediate future, for all intents and
purposes simpleinit-msb has been "unmaintained" for a long time.

Lets keep an eye on lfsinit and see if we can move there next, and if we
can make that process as painless as possible. Also, better this happens
now (before our 1.0) so we can get our next init system on the iso.

-Andrew