sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for Sorcery Volunteers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for Sorcery Volunteers
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:36:52 -0800

Quoting Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>:
> Andrew a écrit :
>
> > no one said it wasnt...but i guess you can be overly pedantic, pedantic
> > documentation can be helpful, I believe this is actually documented on
> > the wiki as well. I strongly dislike duplicate documentation especially
> > when no one is around to fix it, and I dont know where it is. Theres
> > a vast body of documentation of sorcery on the wiki, but I dont have
> > time to update it, Im busy enough keeping the new things documented,
> > and writing the new code. When we had an active docs team most stuff
> > was documented, or would be updated when things changed. Perhaps you're
> > really just volunteering to be docs team lead? I thought you were on
> > the iso team?
>
> OK. Here's my conclusion and plan:
>
> I'm part of ISO team (still...). I need some documentation about
> sorcery. I thought good software was done by implementing good
> documentation. But on Source Mage, nobody cares/need documenting before
> writing code. This make bugs hard to find and fix.

We /do/ care about documentation, if you've been reading what Andrew (and
others) have been saying. We've asked for help on documentation and received
some help in that area, but we've also gotten people saying that there is no
documentation when they just didn't look in the correct place and/or didn't
understand what's already there (so if anyone wants to volunteer to help
organize our documentation, let us know). The best way to get something fixed
is file a (polite) bug about it, give feedback when the developer(s) ask
questions, and preferrably provide a patch (if appropriate) that can fix the
problem.

Continually deriding developers for not caring about something in which they
do
indeed care about, but have higher priorities at the moment, is not very
constructive.

> So, since i need it for the ISO, I will document whatever I need and
> fill bugs if something does not behaves like it's documented (wether in
> my docs or elsewhere). Furthermore, since I might need features/bug fix
> that are not in stable sorcery/grimoire (like the installwatch fix or a
> correct resurect feature), I will implement them in separate script and
> will fix the spell I need in devel grimoire myself.

Yes, file bugs, but going and changing spells' behaviour (especially core
spells) without talking to Arwed first is not the proper method (nor is
changing Sorcery's behaviour without talking to Andrew). The teams (and Team
Leads) are here to facilitate fixes going in and not breaking other people's
machines or adding more work for our existing gurus.

If you feel your bugs are not being handled properly, try talking to the
developers responsible for it and see why they aren't (perhaps they're busy
with RL and will get to it when they can, or they're working on fixing other
bugs) getting back to you. Perhaps they have a reason for holding off a fix
(such as figuring out how best to integrate it without breaking other
problems). Keep in mind that we are all contributing what free time we have
and
that not everyone has the same amount of free time.

> Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO team

-sandalle