sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] truncated downloads

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] truncated downloads
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:26:26 -0700

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 07:55:59AM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Hi All, especially sorcery team :-),
>
> During recompile of GNOME, I hit the following snag. It's either my
> connection or sorcery or wget, but files downloaded by summon are
> truncated. BZip2 says they're broken. Sometimes I delete them,
> re-summon, they're truncated again. I tried changing mirrors (this
> happens with the main GNOME site) but most our mirror settings in the
> U.S. are not working (I'll fix it myself, no problem). But that's not
> the problem.
>
> The worst thing is, sorcery never complains about checksums being wrong.
> I checked, the MD5 are different. That's pretty much it. I can get a
> debug output of cast if necessary.
> Thanks!

Theres really not been much changed in sorcery with the downloading
code recently so it seems unlikely that sorceery would all of sudden
be breaking downloads..maybe wget is timing out or something and we're
misinterpritting the results/exit status? Sorry we can't reproduce and/or
help much with this.

As far as the checking of files right after download a lot of people
probably wouldn't like to have to endure a "useless" unpack right after
a download. On the other hand it sucks to have broken files floating.

We could have an option to check files after downloading, it could even
be a numerical threshold for the maximum size of a file to verify (just
an idea). If someone wants they can file a sorcery feature request and
I'll add it to the 1.12 or maybe 1.13 stack.

Thanks
Andrew