sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD 64

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <smgl AT dossen.dk>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD 64
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:27:30 +0200

On 19/09/04 20.36, wandre.l AT free.fr wrote:
[snip]
> BUT lots of spells have outdated configures and do not recognize x86_64.
> that would mean having to maintain lots of patches, which would be a real
> pain in the ass. So we're a bit stuck at the moment.

Messing around with linux on old SGI Indy machines (gentoo, have not
had the time needed to get smgl to run on the Indy) I've come across a
number of packages that did not configure correctly. They complained
about being unable to identify the platform, and the error message
points out the config.guess file as the problem. It seems that this
problem of outdated config.guess is so common that gentoo has a
specific tweak for them (something gnuconfig), which in essence
consists of replacing the config.guess (and maybe one or two other
files) with uptodate versions. Maybe a similar approach could be
adopted (it should not break other architectures). All that would be
needed would be to have a function to copy the updated files (I guess
the one installed by automake (/usr/share/automake-1.9/config.guess)
should do) and call it as the first statement of BUILD for affected
spells.

This of cause depends on the problem being solvable with new
config.guess files, otherwise actual patches might be needed.

/dossen