sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] truncated downloads

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] truncated downloads
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:39:09 +0200

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:55:59 -0400
"Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com> wrote:
> During recompile of GNOME, I hit the following snag. It's either my
> connection or sorcery or wget, but files downloaded by summon are
> truncated.
--snipsnap---
> The worst thing is, sorcery never complains about checksums being wrong.
> I checked, the MD5 are different.
sorcery checks the MD5s of the unpacked tars etc.
So if the package doesn't get unpacked at all, it doesn't get checked
It might be a feature suggestion to make summon check a file after having
downloaded it,
but I don't think a lot of users would appreciate waiting a minute or so
after a summon of
a large package, just for the sake of unpacking+checking it.
It would be another possibility to add MD5sums of the compressed packages to
spells,
but I think >10 maintainers would be ready to kill me for suggesting that ;)
besides, a site could have used better compression options or something...
So Far,
Karsten