sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Persistence wiki

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Persistence wiki
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:46:09 +0000

On Sunday 22 August 2004 9:31 am, Andrew wrote:

> There is a config_query_options which you can use for that. However you
> can mess with them as much as you want after persistent_add'ing them
> if I understand things right.
>
> Variables marked persistent are saved and then cleared between spells
> files (and thus spells).

I'm not sure at what point in this thread I should be sending this, but I've
been modifying a spell and using the config_query_option as specified on the
Wiki (config_query_option OPTS "Use X ?" y "--with-x" "--without-x"), but I
have been running into some difficulty.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding its usage wrong, or if I'm just plain using
it wrong, or if there's a bug in it. It seems that the variable I'm using
isn't being cleared when using the -r switch of cast, and that is making it
difficult for my to use it.

Here is what I have tried in the CONFIGURE file:
config_query_option CONF_OPTS "Compile in support for zlib?" y "HAVE_ZLIB"
"NO_ZLIB" &&
config_query_option CONF_OPTS "Compile in support for gettext?" y
"HAVE_GETTEXT" "NO_GETTEXT" &&
config_query_option CONF_OPTS "Compile in support for IP v6?" y "HAVE_IPV6"
"NO_IPV6"

The first pass through, with the defaults results in this:
CONF_OPTS='HAVE_ZLIB HAVE_GETTEXT HAVE_IPV6'

The second time through, without a -r, results in the same settings without
being re-asked for the values (as it should).

The third time through, with a -r and choosing different options, results in
the following:
CONF_OPTS='HAVE_GETTEXT HAVE_IPV6 HAVE_ZLIB NO_GETTEXT NO_IPV6'

I went through a fourth time like the second (no -r), and got the same
results
as the third time through. That aspect seems to be operating correctly.

Believing that CONF_OPTS was somehow defective, I chose to try a different
track and use unique, custom variables for each option, like this:
config_query_option ZLIB_OPT "Compile in support for zlib?" y "HAVE_ZLIB"
"NO_ZLIB" &&
config_query_option GETTEXT_OPT "Compile in support for gettext?" y
"HAVE_GETTEXT" "NO_GETTEXT" &&
config_query_option IPV6_OPT "Compile in support for IP v6?" y "HAVE_IPV6"
"NO_IPV6"

But I got the same behavior except that the variables were split out, i.e.:
ZLIB_OPT='HAVE_ZLIB'
GETTEXT_OPT='HAVE_GETTEXT'
IPV6_OPT='HAVE_IPV6'

and:
ZLIB_OPT='HAVE_ZLIB'
GETTEXT_OPT='HAVE_GETTEXT NO_GETTEXT'
IPV6_OPT='HAVE_IPV6 NO_IPV6'

Also, as I was having this odd behavior, I added the NO_ZLIB to the last
variable for the testing and verifying process. Ideally, I would like to
leave that last option blank, like this:
config_query_option CONF_OPTS "Compile in support for zlib?" y "HAVE_ZLIB" ""

&&
config_query_option CONF_OPTS "Compile in support for gettext?" y
"HAVE_GETTEXT" "" &&
config_query_option CONF_OPTS "Compile in support for IP v6?" y "HAVE_IPV6" ""

I have no idea yet if that's possible or not, but it is desired. :^)

I have tried it both using persistent_add and not using it, with no
difference
in results. It was my understanding that using a -r would clear the
persistenceness of the variables, but that does not seem to be the case.

So, which is it? Am I misunderstanding the usage, just plain using it wrong
or is there a bug?

On that machine, I have Test Sorcery 1.11.0-rc1 and the latest Test grimoire
as of about 11:00 AM EST (GMT -0400, IIRC).

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)