sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Persistence wiki

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Persistence wiki
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:45:10 -0700

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 05:28:54PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Vladim?r Marek <vlmarek AT volny.cz>:
> <snip>
> > > How can we use config_query (or another method) to add to OPTS (if
> > > OPTS is already considered persistent, can we just do: OPTS="$OPTS
> > > <new options>" and it will be persistent during the cast (and not
> > > saved, otherwise multiple casts would continually add <new options> to
> > > the end ;))?
> > What a question :) OPTS is generated each time spell is casted, so I
> > don't see reason to make it persistent. You can do this:
> >
> > config_query SCREW "Do you want to make casting interesting ?" ?
> > [ SCREW == 'y' ] && OPTS="$OPTS --screw-it"
> >
> > This way the qestion is remembered for next casts, and OPTS is not made
> > persistent.
>
> What I meant was is the "OPTS=" persistent for the spell (or more clearly:
> if I
> set OPTS=<something> in PRE_BUILD or CONFIGURE, will BUILD, INSTALL, etc. be
> able to see my changes)?

OPTS is a poor choice for a persistent variable since it has another use.
But for a persistent variable of a non-conflicting name, whatever value
it is set to at the end of a file is saved and reloaded in the next file,
consequently if you dont do anything in the next file to that variable
it will get saved with the same value it was loaded with.

In other words they are persistent between files.