sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Thanks all the same (was: Distrowatch ratings.... never seen them so low...)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pierre-François Gomez <pf.gomez AT free.fr>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Thanks all the same (was: Distrowatch ratings.... never seen them so low...)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:26:51 +0200

Hello,

Eric Schabell <eschabell AT sourcemage.org> writes:

> Since we have not been releasing or announcing much lately it seems we
> are in a free fall:
>
> last month = 76th
> last 3 months = 79th
> last 6 months = 51st
> last 12 months = 36th
>
> At this rate we are going off the charts soon....

Strangely, this doesn't seem to affect the distribution's quality :)

I discovered Sourcemage back on the early 0.9 versions and it soon
became my favorite distribution. But i kept coming back to my second
favorite one because i had a hard time getting things done the way i
wished.

Some strange compilation issues with some spells : i was just in no mood
to try anything more than "cast" and a bit of "cat" on the spells, at
the time. I wanted it to "just work".

Recently, i downloaded the 20040414 ISO and i'm still enjoying it *and*
getting work done easily : now i don't have any reason to leave it, and
i'm fine with that.

I don't try to make a point here, but i just thank you all for this
great job. My relatives, at least, will know Sourcemage as a distribution
of great quality rather than of high distrowatch ratings.

Well, maybe i did make a point, after all ;-)

Best wishes
-- Pierre-François Gomez