sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Distrowatch ratings.... never seen them so low...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Distrowatch ratings.... never seen them so low...
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:13:55 -0700

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:17:05PM +0200, Eric Schabell wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> Since we have not been releasing or announcing much lately it seems we
> are in a free fall:
>
> last month = 76th
> last 3 months = 79th
> last 6 months = 51st
> last 12 months = 36th
>
> At this rate we are going off the charts soon....

A couple of points to remember: sorcerer and lunar are also falling
towards the bottom, both of them are much closer than we are.

Last month shows them at 99 and 100 respectively.
Last week [0] shows them at 98 and 95 respectively.

Its also worthwhile to point out we had a rather large anomoly in our
hits per day one day in February (i think) which pushed us, and some
other distro's up into the 20s for a while. Our 6 month and 12 month
averages still echo that, however 3 months and one month (and one week)
dont reflect this anymore.

Ive been working on a sorcery roadmap and what features are going in
when. I'll try and send out mail by the end of the day.

As for PR, one additional thing we can consider besides iso releases is
purchasing some banner ads on distro-watch (mepis did this and they are
ranked 3) other distro's have done it as well. I dont mind putting up
some reasonable sum of money for this if it will help the project.

Finally we can all be cheap bastards and be sure to click on the link
every day.

-Andrew

[0] http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |