sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Distrowatch ratings.... never seen them so low...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Distrowatch ratings.... never seen them so low...
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:01:51 -0700

Quoting Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:
> A couple of points to remember: sorcerer and lunar are also falling
> towards the bottom, both of them are much closer than we are.
>
> Last month shows them at 99 and 100 respectively.
> Last week [0] shows them at 98 and 95 respectively.

DW has just done some anti-hit-cheat reworking so that bots, etc. don't unduly
increase a distro's rank so this could also be the reason.

> Its also worthwhile to point out we had a rather large anomoly in our
> hits per day one day in February (i think) which pushed us, and some
> other distro's up into the 20s for a while. Our 6 month and 12 month
> averages still echo that, however 3 months and one month (and one week)
> dont reflect this anymore.
>
> Ive been working on a sorcery roadmap and what features are going in
> when. I'll try and send out mail by the end of the day.
>
> As for PR, one additional thing we can consider besides iso releases is
> purchasing some banner ads on distro-watch (mepis did this and they are
> ranked 3) other distro's have done it as well. I dont mind putting up
> some reasonable sum of money for this if it will help the project.

We could all pitch in to make it a smaller chunk for each, if we decide to do
this.

> Finally we can all be cheap bastards and be sure to click on the link
> every day.

I check it every day for version updates for the "major" packages. :)

> -Andrew

-sandalle