sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Distrowatch ratings.... never seen them so low...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Distrowatch ratings.... never seen them so low...
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:27:51 -0700

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 10:13 am, Andrew wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:17:05PM +0200, Eric Schabell wrote:
> > Howdy all,
> >
> > Since we have not been releasing or announcing much lately it seems we
> > are in a free fall:
> >
> > last month = 76th
> > last 3 months = 79th
> > last 6 months = 51st
> > last 12 months = 36th
> >
> > At this rate we are going off the charts soon....
>
> A couple of points to remember: sorcerer and lunar are also falling
> towards the bottom, both of them are much closer than we are.
>
> Last month shows them at 99 and 100 respectively.
> Last week [0] shows them at 98 and 95 respectively.
>
> Its also worthwhile to point out we had a rather large anomoly in our
> hits per day one day in February (i think) which pushed us, and some
> other distro's up into the 20s for a while. Our 6 month and 12 month
> averages still echo that, however 3 months and one month (and one week)
> dont reflect this anymore.
>
> Ive been working on a sorcery roadmap and what features are going in
> when. I'll try and send out mail by the end of the day.
>
> As for PR, one additional thing we can consider besides iso releases is
> purchasing some banner ads on distro-watch (mepis did this and they are
> ranked 3) other distro's have done it as well. I dont mind putting up
> some reasonable sum of money for this if it will help the project.
>
> Finally we can all be cheap bastards and be sure to click on the link
> every day.
>
> -Andrew
>
> [0] http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1

Something else to consider, is that OneBase is rather high on the list.
Through my association with the MadPenguin.com folks, they believe that
OneBase is a rather poor distribution, but the developer is constantly
promoting his distro on their site and IRC channel and just about every Linux
site he can. I'm sure his listing on DistroWatch is a result of a lot of
people only checking out his distro one time, but it has resulted in a high
listing. Another thing to consider before running off willy-nilly and
shouting Source Mage from the roof tops, is that both OneBase and Gentoo have
gotten themselves some bad reputations as being rather loud-mouthed and
obnoxious from their forum, mail list and IRC activities. We should take the
opportunity to learn from their examples. We have lots of intelligent folks
who know how to write code /and/ also know how to formulate sentences and
arguments. :^) So we don't have to result to the same sort of un-thought
out activities that are sometimes seen from the zealot crowd.

Speaking of MadPenguin.com, they have been waiting for our official 1.0
release to do a review of Source Mage. That will result in a lot of exposure
for us. There are a few folks on the admin staff that have tried and like
Source Mage, so I believe that a review there will be most favorable.

Maybe if I were more of a forum lurker, I could be promoting Source Mage at
MadPenguin.com myself. :^)

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)