sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Problem with nvidia_driver

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Problem with nvidia_driver
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:32:38 +1200

Eric Sandall wrote:
Quoting Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>:

I don't know if this is related, but I have to cast nvidia without X going. Also recently, my /dev/nvidia* has go-rw priviledges

NVIDIA's installer tries to rmmod/insmod the "nvidia" module, so if the module
is in use the installer fails.

As for permissions, you should modify /etc/udev/udev.permissions to give
nvidia*
0666 permissions (IIRC). Should we add that to udev?
What about as part of the nvidia spell? Maybe as a configuration option.
Because this will be a problem with newbies.

This is one thing I find with Sourcemage, that is I have to learn about configuring things. An example is getting gphoto2 to download the photos from my G3 camera, I have to manually setup the hotplug scripts so users can access the camera. I'm not sure about security issues, but this is one difference between Sourcemage and Mandrake, generally, things work in Mandrake.

Just some thoughts, Duane.