sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Problem with nvidia_driver

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Bearcat M. Sandor" <Sorcerer AT TheDragonsEdge.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Problem with nvidia_driver
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:02:06 -0600

Robin,

I ran into this problem myself. It was, i think ner0x who helped me with this
one.

The nvidia_kernel spell can not cast in a ram drive (why? Who knows?). In
order to cast it, do the following:

1. at your command-line, run 'sorcery'
2. Choose 'Option'
3. Choose 'Feature Menu'
4. move the bar to 'TMPFS' and hit you spacebar to unselect it.
5. Hit return all the way out of the Sorcery menu system

That should do it! I spent all day trying to get the damn thing to work, and
this simple thing fixed it.

Bearcat

On Thursday 22 July 2004 09:49 in an email titled "[SM-Discuss] Problem with
nvidia_driver" Robin Sheat wrote:
>The new(?) nvidia_driver won't build:
>Waiting for any Solo casts to complete...
>Waiting for any other casts of nvidia_driver to complete... done.
>Building nvidia_driver
>Unpacking source file NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run for spell
>nvidia_driver.
>rmdir: `/usr/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1': Device or resource
>busy
>
>make: Circular gimp-print <- cups dependency dropped.
>make: *** No rule to make target `windowmaker', needed by `WindowMaker'.
>make: *** No rule to make target `tetex-texmf', needed by `teTeX-texmf'.
>make: *** No rule to make target `tetex', needed by `teTeX'.
>make: Circular nessus-plugins <- nessus-core dependency dropped.
>make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
>
>Spells that encountered problems:
>---------------------------------
>nvidia_driver
>
>...I'd submit a bug for it, but I have no GUI, have been battling with
>converting my mbox system to Maildir (gave up: couldn't convince
>procmail to save files in Maildir, couldn't convince dovecot to view
>/var/spool/mail as the inbox, and no GUI makes things that much more
>awkward. It can all be something for another day.)
>
>Oh, also, I tried reverting to the previous NVIDIA_driver, but trying to
>run something with it caused an Oops.

- --
Bearcat M. Sandor
Owner