sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Problem with nvidia_driver

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Problem with nvidia_driver
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:43:26 -0700

Quoting Robin <robin AT kallisti.net.nz>:
> On Friday 23 July 2004 18:24, Wolfgang Scheicher wrote:
> > *) NVIDIA_driver builds fine in tmpfs
> > I use it myself that way
> NVIDIA_driver did, sure. I never had an issue with it. nvidia_driver,
> however,
> wouldn't.

Could be some of my changes.

> > *) NVIDIA_driver has Stuff in it's makefile that fails if X is allready
> > running - causing the whole spell to fail
> > ( unloading the old module, don't remember at the moment if it also fails
> > if X is running with a other driver )
> > Maybe one ( me ) should add some additional checks for that and give some
> > Warnings...
> That would be good. A number of times I'll start an update running in X, and
>
> all of a sudden some time later, new Qt programs stop opening because the GL
>
> libs have gone. Is it feasible to remove the test from the installer? Will
> it
>
> cause problems?

Gentoo does this, and probably other source-based distros.

> > *) you got "rmdir: `<dir>': Device or resource busy" before unpacking the
> > sources - that propably means that the tmpfs with the stuff from the
> failed
> > build before couldn't be unmounted for some reason ( still in use? )
> It wasn't that. I could umount it manually, but when I cast I got the same
> error again. It seems like it is created, then something in cast or the
> nvidia_driver scripts tries to remove it, but fails.

That's probably because in PRE_BUILD I do `rmdir $SOURCE_DIRECTORY` since
unpack
won't unpack if $SOURCE_DIRECTORY already exists. I could either set TMPFS=off
or much around with PRE_BUILD, which would people prefere?

-sandalle