sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: The story of "Oh, my dependencies"

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jose Bernardo Silva" <jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: The story of "Oh, my dependencies"
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:56:39 +0000

On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:53:50 -0400, Jackson Alley wrote

> In order for dispel to really be able to do something like that we
> will need the full DEPENDS tree, which, to the best of my knoladge
> is incomplete. If some one is working on this correct me and I'd
> love to see where it's at. Thoughts? Ideas? Corrections? jackson

My main concern now are situations like gnome1/gnome2. I use two gnome1
programs, (zapping and gnucash) and I had evolution2. But since there are
conflicts between most gnome1 libs and gnome2 libs, I gave up on evolution2.
My dependency tree is now quite messy thanks to that - but I can still "hack"
things so that I can recast gnucash if one of the base libs is broken/updated.
I'm afraid that with a full dependency tree I'll see more and more ocasions
where cast will refuse to work because I have had to dispell a "base" spell
when it conflicted with another, even though the spell I am trying to cast
will still compile and run perfectly without that "dependency of a
dependency".
Maybe this could be solved if we had "compile dependency" and "runtime
dependency", where for spell X to compile you'd need spell Y, but you could
then dispell spell Y and still cast spell Z that has a compile and runtime
dependency on spell X, but no dependency whatsoever on spell Y.
I don't know if I am making myself clear...

PS: on gnome1, any idea why gnucash complains it can't find the default font
for printing? There doesn't seem to be a way to choose it inside gnucash. I
really hate the way gnome hides configuration options, never could find my way
around it.

---
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
jbernardo AT sourcemage.org | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo
jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com