sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: The story of "Oh, my dependencies"

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: The story of "Oh, my dependencies"
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:48:09 -0700

> In the same kind of idea is it planned (is it at least feasable?) to do
> something like:
> I want to cast X.
> Y is also casted because X depends on Y.
> I don't want X anymore so I dispell it.
> -->dispel offers me to dispell Y as well because it's no longer needed by
> any spell.
>
> I would find this useful because it often happens that I cast something
> which depends on a lot of other stuff just to see if I like it; but I
> usually dispel it afterwards and since I don't want my system to be bloated
> by lots of unused stuff, I have to dispell one by one all the previous
> dependencies.

Yes, its definitly plausible to teach dispel about depends, just no one
has time to do it.

We can use the compute_installed_depends function to build up hash tables
of what depends on what, and what is depended on by what, thus making
it so one can wander up and down the depends tree.

The precondition is that the depends tree is actually valid. There are a
number of different roads we must take in order to accomplish that.
1) clease (done)
2) only update depends on successful cast (working on it)
3) dispel needs to remove depends on dispel (goes along with the
suggested changes)

So much code to write, so little time.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |