sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: How do you use SMGL?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <a_bouter AT ezrs.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: How do you use SMGL?
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 20:19:05 +0200

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:03:43 +0200, Jaanus Heeringson wrote:
> 1. Do you use SMGL for personal purposes, professional or both?

Both personal and I'm promoting it with companies who are thinking of
migrating
to GNU/Linux.

> 2. How many installations do you have?

3 at the moment, with a 4th on it's way :-)

1 for server/workstation/testing,
2 laptop/wifi-gateway
3 file server
4 server , an old IBM which so far refuses to boot SMGL Let's see who'll win
the
battle ;-)

> 3. What is the main function of your SMGL box(es)? Desktop or server?
> What kind of server?

My laptop is a gateway/firewall/proxy for me and a demonstration platform for
people interested in SMGL or GNU/Linux in general.
So it runs a variety of server/desktop apps.

My workstation is mainly used for daily work and the occasional game.
It also provides services like dhcp/mail/ssh/dns/...

My file server only provides NFS (at the moment...)

And my server is stuck with AIX for time being :-(

> 4. Why did you choose SMGL?

The main reasons are:
GPL, freedom of choice, source based

I like the fact that stable is stable and test is fun. I love challenges
once in a while. :-)

But I also like to tinker a bit with settings and scripts. And what better
distro to do that than with SMGL?

> 5. What do you miss in SMGL?

Miss and SMGL in the same sentence?

> 6. Do you work with Linux professionally?

As much as possible! I do freelance work for a couple of companies. And
whenever
I get the chance I install Linux on those projects. Although I do work a lot
with supporting windows based workstations. :-(
But then again, they do require a lot more support :-)