sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: gcc split

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: gcc split
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:27:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Andrew wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:52:49PM +0000, Jose Bernardo Silva wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:24:59 -0700, Seth Alan Woolley wrote
> >

> > > While you guys are at it, a little utility to build cross-compilers
> > > (like for my zaurus) would be great. Thanks. ;)
> > >
> > > cast -i $INSTALL_ROOT -t $PLATFORM $SPELL would be an excellent feature.
> > >
> > > cast -i /mnt/zaurus/usr/local/ -t sa11xo irssi ;)
> >
> > Seth,
> >
> > I've been fighting with that for a few months now, whenever I have 5
> > minutes
> > free (which I haven't had lately). I have been looking now at
> > http://kegel.com/crosstool/, which we might use as a starting point.
> > Right now I have a crosschain building for x86_64, we'll see...
> >

> The basic install_root stuff was being worked on by hamish/charkins, now
> that hamish has left its up to charkins and I to get the whole thing sorted
> out. As it stands now I am waiting on charkins to write up a spec on
> how install root is supposed to behave and what gets install_rooted and
> when.

Most of the install root stuff was actually done by someone else (not sure
who), but I jumped in to help make it useable for building portions of the
iso and the initial spells to be installed from the iso (formerly known as
image.tar.bz2).

> Perhaps we should fork a discussion on this so we can get all the
> different ideas out.
>
> I see four seperate cases here, and two terms for them. (Meaning we need
> another one).
>
> 1) normal install under / (we all know what this should do)
>
> 2) install something under a different install_root and maintain sorcery
> state there (so you could concievably chroot there and everything will be
> fine).
> This means that we need to strip the install root directory from the
> install list.
>
> 3) install root something under a different directory but use the (or non
> install_root) sorcery state files. This is useful if say you want two
> seperate
> conflicting spells installed, and just want to dump one in some other
> place off your main system.
>
> 4) install root with a cross compiler, this would compile something for
> a different arch and link to the right libraries. Sorcery state would need
> to be maintained in the install root, but sorcery should still be able
> to interact with it
>
> 5) install root with a cross compiler, like 4, but we keep our sorcery
> state files somewhere special so we can deploy a small system without
> any sorcery stuff on it (say this is a PDA we are trying to make a small
> image for).
>
> I think we need another term describing where sorcery should keep it
>

>From what I can tell, sorcery's current cross install / install root stuff
is essentially #4 above. It can also be used for #2 above by specifying
the same architecture for the install root environment.

I'll be watching this thread and should hopefully get started on detailing
this when I get home next week.

-casey