sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: gcc split

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: gcc split
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:24:59 -0700

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:45:58AM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Treeve Jelbert <treeve01 AT pi.be>:
> > this is proving difficult.
> >
> > I am able to build just the c++ libraries, but if I ask for just the g++
> > compiler, it insists on rebuilding and installing a gcc compiler as well.
> > This means that several spells install gcc, which is not good news.
> >
> > Maybe the gcc spell could archive the bld dirsctory so that it could be
> > reused
> > by any related spells, and don't cache the installed gcc?
> >
> > Or is the whole thing getting too complicated?
> >
> > If you like, I could submit the gcc-g++ spell that I have so far as WIP,
> > so
> > that someone else could think about it.
> >
> > Once this spell is ok, the others should be fairly straightforward.
>
> If it's too difficult/hack-needed to separate the C and C++
> compiler/libraries,
> then I won't be too upset if they're combined into one spell (perhaps just
> "gcc", or should that be a meta-spell for all the compilers? I like that
> idea...). Anyone else have a problem with having gcc-c (or gcc-cpp or
> gcc-c++?)
> providing both C and C++? Most of our packages use C or C++ so there's not
> much
> reason in separating them, right? Other than to be "clean". ;)
>
> -sandalle

While you guys are at it, a little utility to build cross-compilers
(like for my zaurus) would be great. Thanks. ;)

cast -i $INSTALL_ROOT -t $PLATFORM $SPELL would be an excellent feature.

cast -i /mnt/zaurus/usr/local/ -t sa11xo irssi ;)

Seth

Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEF10E21A
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org