sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: gcc split

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: gcc split
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:15:50 -0700

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:52:49PM +0000, Jose Bernardo Silva wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:24:59 -0700, Seth Alan Woolley wrote
>

> > While you guys are at it, a little utility to build cross-compilers
> > (like for my zaurus) would be great. Thanks. ;)
> >
> > cast -i $INSTALL_ROOT -t $PLATFORM $SPELL would be an excellent feature.
> >
> > cast -i /mnt/zaurus/usr/local/ -t sa11xo irssi ;)
>
> Seth,
>
> I've been fighting with that for a few months now, whenever I have 5 minutes
> free (which I haven't had lately). I have been looking now at
> http://kegel.com/crosstool/, which we might use as a starting point.
> Right now I have a crosschain building for x86_64, we'll see...

The basic install_root stuff was being worked on by hamish/charkins, now
that hamish has left its up to charkins and I to get the whole thing sorted
out. As it stands now I am waiting on charkins to write up a spec on
how install root is supposed to behave and what gets install_rooted and when.

Perhaps we should fork a discussion on this so we can get all the
different ideas out.

I see four seperate cases here, and two terms for them. (Meaning we need
another one).

1) normal install under / (we all know what this should do)

2) install something under a different install_root and maintain sorcery
state there (so you could concievably chroot there and everything will be
fine).
This means that we need to strip the install root directory from the install
list.

3) install root something under a different directory but use the (or non
install_root) sorcery state files. This is useful if say you want two seperate
conflicting spells installed, and just want to dump one in some other
place off your main system.

4) install root with a cross compiler, this would compile something for
a different arch and link to the right libraries. Sorcery state would need
to be maintained in the install root, but sorcery should still be able
to interact with it

5) install root with a cross compiler, like 4, but we keep our sorcery
state files somewhere special so we can deploy a small system without
any sorcery stuff on it (say this is a PDA we are trying to make a small
image for).

I think we need another term describing where sorcery should keep it

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |