sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc split

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc split
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:14:38 -0700

> > In the past it was suggested (by Hamish?), that gcc should be split into
> > series of front-ends.
> >
> > The new release of gcc might be a good time to do this.
> >
> > we could have gcc-c, gcc-ada, gcc-f77, gcc-pascal, gcc-java, etc
> >
> > gcc-c would include C and C++ and be part of the base system. everyting
> > else
> > would be optional. We would need to track down all the spells which
> > depend
> > on any of these and update their DEPENDS accordingly.
>
> If you manage to split it up with everything working, i'm all for it :)
>
> > Doing this, we could even have gcc-c at 3.3.2 and gcc-f77 at 3.4?
>
> I don't think that's possible, as all gcc stuff shares the same backend,
> and i don't think it's a good idea to mix frontend and backend versions.

Someday in a far off universe I am going to add support for second order
depends into libdepends, this will make it so spell foo can depend on
spell bar with optional_thing baz on (or off).

Or in more concrete terms pvm could have a
sub_depend gcc F77
for gcc with fortran 77 support. If gcc didn't have fortran 77 support,
that option could be turned on, and gcc would be made an explicit target
to (re)build.

A similar problem came up with several gnome spells as well.

What do we think of this?

Of course you dont have to do it this way. If you can split the spell
up such that recompiles of it are faster, more power to you.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |