sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] persistent_save function being used in stable spells?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] persistent_save function being used in stable spells?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:36:08 -0700

Quoting Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:
> I would hold off putting them in the test grimoire for at least a week
> as everyone may not updated sorcery right away. Likewise for the stable
> grimoire, we should wait probably a month so everyone has a chance to
> get their sorcery updated and there aren't any major issues with it.
>
> As for swapping over spells, sorcery is set up to coexist with either
> setup, so the changeover can go at whatever speed the team wants.
>
> http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Grimoire+Api
> http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Build+Api+2

True. I figured we'd get as many spells updated at the same time, though, but
it
would be a good idea to give people time to update to the new Sorcery, first.

> Might be helpful in explaining what needs to be done. I'll try to update
> my splitting script to handle more cases. Although even doing it by hand
> takes less than a minute or two for most spells.
>
> One proposal I haven't heard anything about is abolishing the
> (
> ) > $C_FIFO 2>&1 stuff in BUILD.
> With the split it will have to go into PRE_INSTALL and INSTALL file as well
> or else the output of those files wont get logged.
> The alternative of course is to do the subscript execution in sorcery
> which seems to be a win win situation since BUILD/PRE_INSTALL/INSTALL
> doesn't have to have that nonsense in it, and everything is guarenteed
> to be logged.

I like the approach of having Sorcery do it for us as that's how we've done
things in the past. If many spells use the same functionality, then it goes
into Sorcery, and for this /every/ spell uses it (either through default_build
or their own BUILD).

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61