sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage as general purpose installer

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: Josh Fuhs <fuhs AT purdue.edu>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage as general purpose installer
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:24:36 -0800

Quoting Josh Fuhs <fuhs AT purdue.edu>:
> Wow, this project has more than I thought it did.
>
> It seems that making the change to allow users to use sorcery would require
> bit more than changing the install path and removing the 'su'. As it is,
> there
> is absolute certainty that whoever is using sorcery has superuser
> priveleges.
> So
> caches, grimoires, etc. can be trusted.
>
> It would be ideal if regular users could be given (almost) all the
> functionality
> of the superuser (modify their own grimoire, cast spells, dispel, etc), but
> without compromising the integrity of the superuser system.
>
> Perhaps you've already accounted for this in the system, and I'm just
> rambling
> about a lot of nothing.
>
> If I find myself with a significant amount of free time, I'll look through
> the
> source. It would be nice to know where I could find documents with respect
> the requirements and design of the system.
>
> Josh

Most of those would require a little more abstraction to our current Sorcery
than is in there, yes, but it shouldn't take much. Just make two layers, one
for normal (root) operation (which it does now), the other for a normal user,
who could have his own config settings, would need his own writeable cache
(but
could still use the global one for reading, along with configs so that it's
not
required that he have a whole copy of Sorcery). Our Sorcery Team is looking
for
volunteers, so if you'd even like to help with the current setup you could,
just to get more familiar with the internals, which may make implementing your
idea easier. :)

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61