sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage as general purpose installer

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Ricardo Izquierdo" <odracir_redwolf AT linuxmail.org>
  • To: "SourceMage GNU/Linux Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage as general purpose installer
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 01:29:14 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:55:01 -0800
To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

> On Thursday 29 January 2004 9:24 pm, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > Quoting Josh Fuhs <fuhs AT purdue.edu>:
> > > Wow, this project has more than I thought it did.
> > >
> > > It seems that making the change to allow users to use sorcery would
> > > require a
> > > bit more than changing the install path and removing the 'su'. As it is,
> > > there
> > > is absolute certainty that whoever is using sorcery has superuser
> > > priveleges. So
> > > caches, grimoires, etc. can be trusted.
> > >
> > > It would be ideal if regular users could be given (almost) all the
> > > functionality
> > > of the superuser (modify their own grimoire, cast spells, dispel, etc),
> > > but without compromising the integrity of the superuser system.
> > >
> > > Perhaps you've already accounted for this in the system, and I'm just
> > > rambling
> > > about a lot of nothing.
> > >
> > > If I find myself with a significant amount of free time, I'll look
> > > through the
> > > source. It would be nice to know where I could find documents with
> > > respect to
> > > the requirements and design of the system.
> > >
> > > Josh
> >
> > Most of those would require a little more abstraction to our current
> > Sorcery than is in there, yes, but it shouldn't take much. Just make two
> > layers, one for normal (root) operation (which it does now), the other for
> > a normal user, who could have his own config settings, would need his own
> > writeable cache (but could still use the global one for reading, along
> > with
> > configs so that it's not required that he have a whole copy of Sorcery).
> > Our Sorcery Team is looking for volunteers, so if you'd even like to help
> > with the current setup you could, just to get more familiar with the
> > internals, which may make implementing your idea easier. :)
> >
> > -sandalle
>
> OK, now this thread is starting to go down a path I have been contemplating
> quite a bit, lately.
>
> It seems to me that Source Mage is a prime candidate for creating a kind of
> themed Linux distribution. (No groans, please.) :^) It would take a bit
> of
> work and would be more of a feature request for the 2.0 version, but I
> think
> it would be possible to make the commands, terminology, etc. used in Source
> Mage generic enough and abstracted enough that it would be possible to
> apply
> different themes to the various parts of SMGL.
>
> One could make the commands, terminology, etc. more specific to LOTR, for
> example. Or take it into the other genre, and use terms in Star Wars or
> Star
> Trek or ... The default, of course, would be Source Mage.

I totally agree with you Jason.
Also we have a lot of folkore to make SMGL a themed distribution. Suported
with
the terminology of LOTR and D&D.
Also we can take some terminology form the celtic
folkore specifically. Or from the modren wicca. Just a thought!

But I think to keep away the terms of Star Wars and Star Trek, because them
will
fit better for Lunar Linux. And in some way the name of Source Mage will
lessen
the value of the name. But just another thought!

Regards.

Ricardo.