sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] p4 / cvs / alternate servers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] p4 / cvs / alternate servers
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:26:19 +0200

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 02:06:18PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Jeremy Kolb <jkolb AT brandeis.edu>:
> > This whole p4/cvs thing just sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
> > Why can't we stick with just one? Wouldn't it simplify the whole
> > equation? I don't mean to attack anyone by this, I'm just curious. So
> > enlighten me!
> >
> > Jeremy
>
> Perforce is a nice program, and most of us are fine with using it. Others
> do
> not wish to use non-free software, and so we're trying to provide for them
> as
> well (I want anyone to be able to help, not just those who've sold their
> soul to
> Capitalism ;)). That's the main gist.
>
> -sandalle

The problem i see with using both is that unless we have a really good
script setup (and a good first import into cvs), we'll lose revision
history, which is a Bad Thing (tm). I know i used the revision history
several times to track down nasty bugs. Using only one system seems
better to me in the long term. That would probably have to be cvs, as
much as i've come to like p4, since some of our developers won't use
perforce, and with cvs we can easily setup backup servers. cvs isn't
really suited to the grimoire development though, as moving and renaming
of files and directories isn't really handled by it. The whole
devel/test/stable branching wouldn't be too easy to do in cvs either
afaik.

Don't really know what to recommend, just wanted to get my thoughts out
there :P
Nicest would be if there was a way to set p4<->cvs synching up in a way
that preserves the revision history as good as it's possible (not
completely, as cvs doesn't know changesets), so everyone can use the
tool he likes.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video