sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SourceMage Binary Grimoire Proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • Cc: Source Mage Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SourceMage Binary Grimoire Proposal
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 22:11:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Seth Woolley wrote:
> Just modify sorcery to override the -c switch to mean "resurrect", or
> where sorcery cast -c's spells for dependency resolution and things like
> that; have it not use -c and pull from compile cache instead if PREFER_BIN
> is enabled in sorcery config.

I thought about something like this, but I wanted to come up with
something without modifying sorcery. If anything at all would need to be
done to sorcery, it would be to allow the gcc check (I think there is one)
to be disabled so gcc wouldn't be necessary on the client machines.

Now if I did go the sorcery patching route, I was thinking something like
a RESURRECT_ONLY option that would force all casts (cast, sorcery
system-update and triggers) to only resurrect, probably similar to what
you're describing. However, I'm not sure (and haven't looked) at if/how
state information is maintained when dispelling and resurrecting.
Particularly, do the entries in /var/state/sorcery/[packages|depends] get
removed when dispelling? Do they get added when resurrecting? If I were on
my machine right now I'd check!

> I read Casey's document, and it seemed a bit overkill if we can use NFS as
> many of us do here for managing multiple boxes or even http to publish
> sorcery caches. Personally, I'd rather this go into sorcery as an option
> than to have an entire new grimoire that needs publishing and maintaining.
> It seems it really doesn't need that much modified in sorcery to just do
> it without a new grimoire... probably the same amount as with a whole new
> grimoire.

I wasn't proposing that we create or maintain a binary grimoire (I may
have not made this clear enough). What I am proposing, and will hopefully
be implementing in the next two weeks, is the "tool" to create a binary
grimoire. It would be intended only to be used locally.

The NFS/http route will not work for all of our computers, as we have some
stand-alone machines with dial-up access only (people working from their
homes in the middle of nowhere). I could treat these as a special case,
but I'd prefer a solution that works the same on these remote computers as
well as our network workstations. Our networks would still use the NFS
approach to distribute the binary grimoire and packages.

Unless someone convinces me that it'd be easy to implement a
RESURRECT_ONLY feature in sorcery, I'll start tackling the binary grimoire
tool Monday.

A couple other questions (that I could probably answer myself if I were on
my computer):

Does BASE_URL just get prepended to the SOURCE field for spells?
Does BASE_URL effect the url for downloading a grimoire? for sorcery?

Thanks for everyone's advice so far, it all keeps by brain moving.

-casey