sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SourceMage Binary Grimoire Proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: Source Mage Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SourceMage Binary Grimoire Proposal
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 16:45:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Eric Sandall wrote:
> You may also want to look ino Cabal in Sorcery, allows you to run commands
> on
> any machine you have setup this way (uses SSH to login and send commands).
> You
> also may want to look into using NFS (or any other networked filesystem) or
> proxy so that all the machines have access to one cache of the binaries
> (with
> this setup, only one machine needs access to /var/spool/sorcery).
>
> Sounds like good work for getting SMGL on clusters, which are easiest when
> homogenous.
>
> -sandalle

Has anyone here actually used cabal? It would be handy for me to perform
system-update's for the networks once the binary grimoire system is in
place.

I'm also working on hacked iso's for zero-interaction updates to a system
(we have a few people working from their homes with only dial-up access).

-casey