sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devices to dev swapover ver 0.2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devices to dev swapover ver 0.2
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:06:55 +0200

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:08:15PM -0000, Eric Sandall wrote:

> Eric Sandall said:
> > Well, one of my machines switched over fine, the other's having problems,
> > but that may be because I tried switching over manually before trying the
> > init.d spell. :)
> >
> > Looks good!
> >
> > -sandalle
>
> Well, maybe I posted too soon. The machine boots and runs fine, but today
> I tried to cast a spell and it has the same problem as my other machine,
> the md5sum check complains that the files don't match, I tell it to
> continue, it then cannot find ./configure (or any other file it looks
> for), and errors out. After looking in /usr/src/{blah}, it is empty.
> However, resurrecting a spell works fine.
>
> Any ideas why this may be so?

You're not running devfsd. devfs doesn't create the /dev/std[in|out|err]
devices, so all pipes in the shell don't work. I already told rycee
that, so it can be fixed in the merged devfs + simpleinit spells. You
have two options:
- run devfsd, it will create those devices, and give you some nice
options for creating compatibility devices. It's also the only way to
get module autoloading work with devfs.
- create the devices yourself in a bootscript:
-- cd /dev
-- ln -s /proc/self/fd
-- ln -s fd/0 stdin
-- ln -s fd/1 stdout