sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devices to dev swapover ver 0.2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: John T Copeland <johnc AT neto.com>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devices to dev swapover ver 0.2
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:10:30 -0500

Eric Sandall wrote:

Andrew said:

I was under the impression that mount[.sh] would start devfsd for me.
All
my other devices work fine under /dev (with /devices -> /dev).

Perhaps I have 'devfsd=nomount' in my lilo.conf, but I thought I'd
removed
that.

this may be a silly question, but is
is devfsd installed?
It was supposed to be an optional_depends

I left the code in mount[.sh] as [ -x /sbin/devfsd ] && /sbin/devfsd
$DEVICES

I do have devfsd installed, but I forgot to comment out the
'append="devfs=nomount"', could that be the culprit? ;) Perhaps we
should have the init.d spell check that as well (/etc/lilo.conf /and/
/boot/grub/menu.lst, the former will require running 'lilo' if it's
modified, the latter requires no such thing).

-sandalle

I believe the devfs=nomount tells the kernel not to mount the devfs at boot(mounting can be set up in the kernel).
JohnC