sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Using devfsd

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: John T Copeland <johnc AT neto.com>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Using devfsd
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:10:33 -0500

Eric Sandall wrote:

Andrew said:

Ive brought this up a number of times, never gotten anywhere, wrote
a spell, had it forgotten, mentioned it to people on irc, had it
forgotten, I dont understand what the problem is. devfsd makes all the
symlinks for you, sets permissions appropriatly however you ask it, and
'just works'.

all that is necessary is to have it installed then ask mount.sh to run
it for you, no magic necessary.

Ive had /devices symlinked to /dev for nearly a year now, not one
problem. We should have had this fixed a long long time ago.

Andrew

I suggest that we have those whom have devfsd already working on /dev as a
replacement for using both /dev and /devices get together (on MLs or IRC)
to discuss how to have the default system use this, from being installed
from an ISO to "upgrading" currently running systems to use the new
method.

Volunteers? I'll volunteer to test. ;)

-sandalle

I'll volunteer to test also.