sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Using devfsd

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Using devfsd
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:11:28 -0700

> I suggest that we have those whom have devfsd already working on /dev as a
> replacement for using both /dev and /devices get together (on MLs or IRC)
> to discuss how to have the default system use this, from being installed
> from an ISO to "upgrading" currently running systems to use the new
> method.

this brings up the problem of how to get everyone updated, since unfortunatly
some users might not read the mailing lists and stuff. There could be yet
another silly sorcery feature (run on updates) to check things like this and
start bugging the user to update...

the easiest way to fix this is to do something with sed to change all entries
of devices to dev and add the line to start devfsd, another thing would be to
check for the existance of a custom mount.sh and possibly ask the user if
they want to do things by hand.

You'd also have to check fstab and do the same thing.

this also means we dont need the no-automount-devfs thing at startup.