sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Using devfsd

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Dufflebunk" <dufflebunk AT go-nix.ca>
  • To: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>, "Source Mage - Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Using devfsd
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:40:53 -0400

SMGL seems to have always had a fear of daemons. I remember asking the same
thing and was told that it was another daemon and they wanted to avoid them
(this was before I became one of 'they' ;).

And the /devices sol'n doesn't always work. vtun for example needs a patch
to get it to work when the devices directroy isn't /dev.

Oh, and devfsd is PITA to get working. We don't even have an init system
that's up to par (IMHO), how would we find the people to take care of the
devices stuff?