sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Versioned dependencies

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: julian AT openit.de (Julian v. Bock)
  • To: eric AT sandall.us
  • Cc: " Source Mage - Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Versioned dependencies
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 09:43:11 +0100

Hi

ES> I think SMGL needs to add versioned dependencies to its abilities,
ES> though this will make both sorcery and spell-writing more complex.
ES> My main reason is for spells like GNUCash (requires an older
ES> version of guile).

[...]

ES> Thoughts?

I doubt it is worth the trouble. While it might be useful for gnucash,
pango, etc., these are only a handful of spells, and implementing and
using this stuff consistently is a major effort.

It will complicate things a lot (remember the 'light dependency
system' feature of sorcerer?) and it will cause problems. sorcery and
the grimoire become slowly stable and if this goes down the road again
because we simply lack the manpower (unlike gentoo) it would suck
greatly.

Julian