sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Fonts in X and Xft2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Fonts in X and Xft2
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:22:05 +0100

To use the truetype fonts with X apps that don't use the Xft font api,
put the dir with the fonts (e.g. /usr/share/fonts/truetype) as a
FontPath in the XF86Config and add a 'load "freetype"' to the Modules
section in the config.

Apps using the Xft2 font api will see them directly (fontconfig takes
care of this), you can even just drop fonts into ~/.fonts to use them.

As to the apps you're using, acroread definitely doesn't use Xft, Opera
may use it if you use the dynamic version with a Xft enabled Qt, don't
know about aterm and fluxbox.

--
Arwed
aka alley_cat