sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Fonts in X and Xft2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jack Bertram <jack AT jbertram.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Fonts in X and Xft2
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:55:07 +0000

Ok all, help me out here:

I use fluxbox, aterm, acroread and Opera (with little else) on my Linux
box. Sorcery has just upgraded my XFree86 to the latest version. After
seeing lots of mentions of Xft2 on the mailing list, I've cast it, but I
don't see much difference on restarting X.

What do I have to do to get wonderful-looking fonts? Is there a HOWTO
which is fully up to date with Xft2?

Plus, I have loads of truetype fonts from eons of Windows boxes - any
way of using those? All the font documentation on the web I can find
seems ages out of date.

Just need a pointer in the right direction...

cheers,
jack