sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: [SM-Grimoire]Glibc casting

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: [SM-Grimoire]Glibc casting
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:33:05 +0000

> Ok, got it working! Here is what I did:
>
> 1. clean out all /var/log/sorcery/*/glibc* entries and previous glibc
> entried
> in /var/state/sorcery/packages.
> 2. copy install log from julianb to instal/glibc-2.3.1 and entry to
> state/packages like glibc:20021112:held:2.3.1
> 3. cast -c glibc (which didn't work again...), ldconfig (which caused usual
> failed install), cd /usr/src/glibc and make install.
> 4. cast -c gcc (this was what i did not normally do).
> 5. cast -c glibc == finished on it's own!

i didnt need to to a cast gcc in my case, but either way im glad it got
fixed. i think what i ended up doing was, replaceing the install/glibc
file, typing make install from a failed glibc source directory, then
recast glibc

so we've mostly figured out two things:
1)if glibc is installed properly, and you cast it, it shouldnt fail,
or in otherwords the spell itself isnt broken.

2)we know the basic way of fixing it, ie replace all the log files,
make sure all the right files are in place, wave some shrunken heads at
the monitor, or sacrifice a goat, and type cast -c glibc.

here's my two cents on this whole thing. The 1.0 iso shouldnt have a
broken glibc on it, and you should be able to cast -c glibc on a freshly
installed system, and have no problems. But i dont think we should rule
out the possibility of 1) someone having a pre 1.0 installation with
a broken glibc installation, 2) something out of the users control,
such as a power outage in the final moments of casting glibc and the
install log not quite making it to disk, or 3) future problems of this
nature. all three of those things could occur, granted some are more
likely then others. I think we should add a few extra bits of code into
the glibc spell to check if the installation is broken (and therefore
a build may fail), and if so, attempt to recover by placing the 'good'
install-logs in place. something to the effect of:

#cast -c glibc
Checking integrity of your current glibc installation.
Your install log appears to be missing some critical files, this typically
is the result of a broken glibc installation.
Would you like me to try and replace the list of installed files?
[y/n]
(if yes) downloads and replaces /var/log/sorcery/install/glibc
(if no) do you still want to cast glibc? (this is known to cause problems)

you get the idea.

if, down the road there arent so many problems with this, then we can
take it out, but for now, we should have something to recover.

Andrew