sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc badness

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: ^GiuAnZ^ <djcomputer AT gmx.net>
  • To: Robin <robin AT kallisti.2y.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc badness
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:02:34 +0200

Alle 15:16, sabato 19 ottobre 2002, Robin ha scritto:
> I just updated glibc, and it fried my machine. (Well, the install SEEMED
> OK, but sorcery thought otherwise), and now I have no glibc at all, which
> is a Bad Bad Thing. I'm currently in text mode knoppix, working through a
> shell account (yay ufies.org :) however, needless to say, I'd like my
> machine back up and running ASAP. Is there a quick fix?
>
> (Sorry about long lines, I have no choice of video mode that knoppix
> uses...I can't even use X, as the default freq makes my monitor turn off)

I've had the same problem. In my case it relied on some old libraries that
were moved to /usr/scr/glibc-2.3.1/old.libraries, while they should be simply
deleted; dunno why the glibc spell or the configure script do things that
way.

After successful build (but unsucessful from the sorcery point of view) bash
was complaining it was unable to find glibc 2.2.5 in
/usr/src/glibc-2.3.1/old.libraries. Then I thought "hey, it should use 2.3.1,
not the old 2.2.5, so that sh*t old.libraries should be removed".
Unfortunately this is not so simple because, if the system is not able to
load glibc, everything is f*cked up! No command worked and the system wasn't
even able to boot anymore.

I've managed to go through it and here's my quick fix:

- boot from sgl cdrom
- continue booting
- nls (set your keyboard)
- shell
- mount your root fs (or the one containing /usr) on /mnt (e.g. mount [-t
reiserfs-or-what-fs-you-use] /dev/hda1 /mnt)
- rm -rvf /mnt/usr/src/glibc-2.3.1/old.libraries (or rename it if you feel
more comfortable)
- reboot
- the system should be ok now but, to clean things, do a cast -c glibc (it
shouldn't break again).

Hope this helps.

--
^GiuAnZ^ - Giovanni Lopedote, Bari, Italy
(damn busy at the moment)