sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] XEmacs Alt Key Bug

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] XEmacs Alt Key Bug
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:15:00 -0700

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 02:14:01AM +1200, David McNab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed SourceMage in the last day, and am generally really
> impressed.
>
> Just one painful problem - in XEmacs, the Alt key is being interpreted
> as a Meta key.
>
> I think this is wrong - it certainly wasn't the case with Emacs on
> Debian.
>
> I've searched all over google, xemacs.org and emacswiki.org, and while
> there's some info on turning Alt into Meta, there's no info on turning
> it back into Alt. I've hit a low point of frustration with this one.
>
> Can someone *please* tell me how I can setup XEmacs (or X, if absolutely
> necessary) so that the Alt key gets read as an Alt key?
>
> I've got a whole pile of Emacs keybindings I've been using for months,
> which need the Alt key. No way do i want to lose the extra functionality
> of having Alt.

Not that this is really related but my spare machine's keyboard lost all
concept of the alt key for some reason. The keyboard simply refused to
send the keycodes from either of the alt keys. At first i thought it was
the computers problem, restart, nothing, i did some loadmaps and played
around with that, and got the alt key mapped to control, and control to
caps_lock, but no caps lock. I ran showkeys and _nothing_ happened when
i pressed the alt keys. I re-attached the keyboard to my other computer,
no alt keys there either....thats just weird, i guess its good that i
have some spare keyboards lying around.