sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] XEmacs Alt Key Bug

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: David McNab <david AT rebirthing.co.nz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] XEmacs Alt Key Bug
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:39:29 -0500 (CDT)

This can be fixed with xmodmap. From the xmodmap man page:
----
Many applications support the notion of Meta keys (similar to
Control keys except that Meta is held down instead of Control). However,
some servers do not have a Meta keysym in the default keymap table, so one
needs to be added by hand. The following command will attach Meta to the
Multi-language key (sometimes labeled Compose Character). It also takes
advantage of the fact that applications that need a Meta key simply need
to get the keycode and don't require the keysym to be in the first column
of the keymap table. This means that applications that are looking for a
Multi_key (including the default modifier map) won't notice any change.

% xmodmap -e "keysym Multi_key = Multi_key Meta_L"

Similarly, some keyboards have an Alt key but no Meta key. In that
case the following may be useful:

% xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L"
----
This last command is probably what you'll want to use. You can add this to
your ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc before the window manager starts, OR you
can add just the stuff between the quotes into ~/.Xmodmap (this assumes
the xinitrc or xsession are loading this file.

Hope this helps. The 'xev' utility can be useful for showing what X
interprets a key stroke as.

-casey