sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] XEmacs Alt Key Bug

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jonathan Evraire <evraire AT tuwg.com>
  • To: Robin <robin AT kallisti.2y.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] XEmacs Alt Key Bug
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 14:56:04 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Robin,

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Robin wrote:

> I have the dvorak key layout, and when I use that mode, there is no
> right-alt. It seems to cause some kind of modification, but I'm not sure
> what. I can switch back to US qwerty layout, and it appears again.

I can't help you with your other problems, and I'm not even sure I'll be
helping with this one. :) On the French-Canadian keyboard, the keys are
remapped a little. Since there are more French characters than English
ones (the accented characters), additional keys are needed. Since most
people have standard 104-key keyboards, the right-alt key is used instead
as a modifier to access the additional characters. For instance, the '~'
key (to the left of th '1' on my keyboard) gets remapped to '/', '\' and
'|', depending on whether you simply hit the key, use shift or the
right-alt.

I know this doesn't solve the problem, but I hope it will at least help
explain what's happening.

Jonathan Evraire
evraire at tuwg.com